Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The "Eyes" have it

Hawaiian - Mele Kalikimaka & Hauoli Makahiki Hou


I can’t believe that I have eyes. I wonder if they will be blue, brown, or green. I guess we will have to wait to find out. I am beginning to think about what color I want my gown. I will ponder that and let you know next week. Till then, here’s another interesting fact.

1939 Copywriter Robert L. May of the Montgomery Ward Company created a poem about Rudolph, the ninth reindeer. May had been "often taunted as a child for being shy, small and slight." He created an ostracized reindeer with a shiny red nose who became a hero one foggy Christmas eve. Santa was part-way through deliveries when the visibility started to degenerate. Santa added Rudolph to his team of reindeer to help illuminate the path. A copy of the poem was given free to Montgomery Ward customers.



1949: Johnny Marks wrote the song "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Rudolph was relocated to the North Pole where he was initially rejected by the other reindeer that wouldn't let him play in their reindeer games because of his strange looking nose. The song was recorded by Gene Autry and became his all-time best seller. Next to "White Christmas" it is the most popular song of all time.






2 comments:

  1. You are really taking shape now, Nick. I am secretly hoping you will have blue eyes and a forest green gown (because I have blue eyes and I LOVE the color green). Of course, I am sure Tom knows best!

    ReplyDelete