Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Starting my Makeover

The Carver started my transformation today. He took knives, chisels, and small power tools and began to remove wood from around my face and gown. It will take him 10 hours to finish the process. I will include more pictures as I am closer to being finished. Three women came by today. They have several of my friends in their collections. I heard the Carver tell them about the process of carving. He said that there are only three things you can do with a knife. Chop, peel, and slice. Almost anyone can be taught these skills, but no one can teach someone “how to see the man inside the wood”. I can’t wait to see what I look like as my journey continues. I thought we could learn some of my other names.


Australia: Father Christmas

Brazil: Papai Noel

Canada: English Speaking: Santa Claus; French Speaking: Pere Noel

China: Shengdan Laoren

Denmark: Julemanden

Holland: Sinter Klaas

Egypt: Papa Noel

England: Father Christmas

Finland: Joulupukki

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nick, I've been missing you. I was thinking about the carver employing both time and abrasion to shape the real man inside you. Kinda reminds me of something. Say hi to the carver and his wife foe me. love Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see already that you are going to be very handsome....a tall and regal-looking Father Christmas with a gentle heart deep inside. I, too, can't wait to see what you look like as your journey continues (although I'll be sad when it ends and you go live where they might not let us see you ever again). *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your expression on "The man inside the wood." I am really enjoying the process..can't wait to see and read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how beautiful it will be. Glad to be sharing the process with you.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete