Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nelson and Working on Sunday

There are some ways I'm just like him
Some ways he was just like me
And sometimes when the mirror's dim
His face is clear to see
Tonight the winds of heaven
Blow the stars across the sky
I brought my father with me
I couldn't say goodbye

Michael Smith “I Brought My Father With Me”


Dad was never happy that my brother and I did not continue the family tradition of not working on Sunday.  When we were younger we were not even allowed to fish or swim on the “Lord’s Day”.  My parents took resting on the seventh day seriously and in the years after I left home, my not resting was cause for many interesting and ongoing discussions.  During one of these discussions, I decided to use the Bible to justify my cutting grass on Sunday.  “Dad, doesn’t the Bible say in Luke 14 that a person can get their ox out of the ditch on the Sabbath?”  “Yes, Son,” Dad responded. “The Bible does say you can get your ox out of the ditch on Sunday.  You just need to quit putting your ox in the ditch on Sunday.”

"It’s called work because it’s hard to do.  Even a mule backs up to do it."
"The road that brought you in here mad can take you out of here happy.  The direction you travel is up to you."
"Worry is like rocking in a rocking chair.  It gives you something to do but you don’t get anywhere by doing it."
"If you have a car, you will have car problems.  If you have an airplane, you will have airplane problems.  Problems are the cost of having things."
"Teachers, be nice to your A students, they will come back and teach. Be nice to your C students, they will be rich enough to build you a new school.  Be nice to all of your students, because some will be taking care of you in the nursing home.  Everyone you teach will eventually touch your life."
"Whose life will you change today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment