Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting Older

Dad  had a unique perspective on getting old.  I think he embraced the process of aging and truly believed that "whatever age you are is the age you are supposed to be".  The next few posts are some his thoughts on getting older.  Enjoy.

"I am not old.  I’ve just lived a long time."
"I never realized I went to school with so many old men."

"I’ve been to see the old people at the nursing home."  (Nelson at age 90)
"Try to live until you’re 100.  The obituaries rarely have someone dying after they are 100."

"When people ask if I have lived in Alabama all of my life, all I can say is 'Not yet'.”
"I knew I was getting old when people quit telling me I was good looking and started telling me I was looking good."
"At my age I don’t even buy green bananas."
"Surely I’ve got something they can use." (Said when he signed his organ donor card upon renewing his driver’s license at 90.)
"Getting older is better than not getting older."

No comments:

Post a Comment